Friday, September 29, 2023

Part Five

 Part Five


When Shard stepped into the house, Nathalia was already back from her trip. “Wow. That was fast,” Shard commented. “I didn’t realize you were back.” Shard took off her cloak and hung it up by the door. 

“I didn’t need much. Why weren’t you here when I returned?” Nathalia asked sternly as she unloaded the bundles in her arms. 

Shard shifted uncomfortably. “You said you’d be gone for hours. No rules against a little exploring,” she muttered sarcastically. 

“You shouldn’t wander on your own,” Nathalia said grimly. “It’s not safe.” 


Shard scoffed. “Tell me about it! You’ve got a wolf problem out there. I nearly got mauled.” 

Nathalia straightened and held out a parcel. “There aren’t any wolves in these parts.” 

Shard blinked at her. “Didn’t you hear me?” Shard tilted her head. “I just saw a wolf with my own eyes! I know that’s probably not something you-”

“It was your imagination,” Nathalia interrupted, still holding out the package. She waved it up and down a few times before Shard took it. 

“I didn’t imagine it,” Shard said, becoming angry. “I know what I saw.”

“So you’re lying?” Nathalia asked. 

“What? No! I really saw it! Why- why?” Shard dropped the package in her bewilderment. She desperately tried to comprehend why the woman didn’t believe her. “Is it so hard to believe I could be telling the truth?” Shard asked. “I have no reason to lie.”

“You will.” Nathalia’s response was calm and detached as she continued putting away the things in her parcels. “Everyone has something to hide. Deception is expected. Might as well start applying that lesson now.”

“Why… why would you say something like that?” Shard asked quietly, crestfallen and confused. “Why won’t you listen to me?” 

“I could ask you the same,” Nathalia said, suddenly stopping her task and turning in Shard’s general direction. “Where did you see this imaginary wolf? You weren’t in the woods, were you?” 

“I… well… yes,” Shard finally answered. 

“Aha. That’s what I thought.” Nathalia turned away. 


“Don’t treat me like a little kid!” Shard said, anger returning. “I’m just fine on my own!” 

“Except, you’re not.” Nathalia turned back to her. “I pulled you out of the lake you almost drowned in. I pulled you out of the storm you almost froze in. I can’t leave you alone for two seconds without you getting into trouble.” 

Shard’s eyes narrowed. “I… I pulled myself out of the water.” She shook her head. “You weren’t there…” 

“I was,” Nathalia insisted. “You were unconscious. I reached into the lake and pulled you out. You would be dead if it weren’t for me.” Nathalia stepped closer. When her foot bumped into the package Shard dropped, Nathalia picked it up and held it out to her again. “I’ve only ever tried to help you.” 

Shard didn’t take the item. She stood thinking, conflicted. I pulled myself out. She wasn’t there. I protected myself in the storm. She wasn’t there. I saw that wolf. She wasn’t there. I didn’t imagine it. I’m not misremembering… Doubt froze her in place. No. I know what I saw. I know what happened. She’s lying. It’s a test and she’s lying. But why would she lie? Why does she think I’m the one lying?


“Shard,” Nathalia said in the same direct tone as before. “Listen to me.” 

Shard’s head snapped up to look at Nathalia, giving the woman her full attention. 

Nathalia continued, “You are a child who has no concept of the new world she is in. You don’t understand the dangers. You don’t know the customs. There are real monsters waiting for you outside that door. You can’t wander around with your head in the clouds. This is the real world and you don’t know the first thing about living here.”

“I would if you’d let me outside every now and then!” Shard shouted. “If I could see the world for myself, I’m sure I’d figure it out!”

Nathalia laughed. “And let you get eaten by a beast or shanked by a stranger because you can’t protect yourself?”

“Well… I-”

“Do you even have any idea how to use your gift?” Nathalia asked. 

“N-no, but I-”

“Trust me, darling,” Nathalia cut her off again. “I say these things to protect you. You won’t survive on your own.” 

“No!” Shard finally had enough. “I can. I will! I don’t need you or your help!” Shard turned and marched to the door. “I’ll be just fine! I’ll figure it out! I can protect myself!” She grabbed the cloak and pulled the door open. 

“Shard,” Nathalia said. Shard stopped. Nathalia lifted the package. “At least take these with you. I spent good coin on them, after all.”


Shard should have walked out. She should have left. She should have marched straight out the door and into the world she so desperately wanted to be part of. But what about the wolf? What about the dangers she had yet to face? What other monsters were lurking beyond the house? What was she supposed to do against those? She couldn’t really protect herself, she knew that much. Shard should have walked out. Instead, she closed the door and walked back to the woman. Shard took the bundle and opened it to see new clothes neatly folded and two more pairs of boots. “Thank you,” Shard muttered. 

Nathalia chuckled. “You really are a handful, aren’t you?” Nathalia sat on the couch and patted the spot beside her. 

Shard sat, staring at the clothes in her hands. “Will you teach me?” she asked quietly. 

“Teach you what?” Nathalia asked.

Shard huffed then glared at her. “How to live in Thorae. How to use my ice powers. How to protect myself.”

“You really want to learn?” Nathalia asked with a smirk. 

Shard frowned. “If it’ll get you off my back let me finally leave this crummy house, then, yeah.” 

Nathalia suddenly sat up straight, an odd grin on her face. “Then swear it!” 

“What?” Shard felt her stomach churning as she leaned away. “Swear what? I don’t-”

“Your undying loyalty, of course!” Nathalia’s grin grew wider. “If you want me to be your teacher, you have to promise never to turn on me.” 

“Oo-kay,” Shard said hesitantly, an eyebrow raised. 

Nathalia held out her hand. “Promise.” 

Shard stared at Nathalia’s open hand for a moment. What choice did she have? Shard took the offered hand. “I promise never to turn on you.” Nathalia’s fingers clamped around Shard’s hand. Shard tried to pull away, but Nathalia didn’t let go. “I promise,” Shard repeated. Nathalia’s grip finally softened enough for Shard to yank her hand back. She rubbed her hand with a frown. “Maybe you need to learn to ease up on that vice grip of yours.” Shard muttered with distaste. She glanced up to see dark streams from Nathalia’s blindfold. “Your eyes are bleeding again.”


“Ah, seems so.” Nathalia stood up with a pleasant, although distant, smile. “Be a darling and start on lunch, will you? There should be plenty of food now.” Nathalia left Shard and went into the next room. She shut the door behind her and locked it. She stumbled to the chair at her desk and sat, holding her head in her hands. After a moment, Nathalia slammed her fist on the wooden surface. “That didn’t change anything,” she whispered. 


No comments:

Post a Comment