Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Part Four

We got up the next morning and set out to explore the town. Nathalia led me through the crowed streets. From every window hung a flag and the streets were lined with streamers and banners in all different colors. There was jovial music being played in an open square. A lot of people filled the streets and shops. Nathalia led me to a huge circular structure. I could hear a lot of noise, mostly screaming and shouting, coming from the place. We entered and made our way through a huge crowd. When we stopped, I looked around and found that we were in the stands of a huge arena. The place was filled with people shouting and screaming. I looked down into the center of the arena and watched two people battling it out. One of the warriors fell to the ground and didn’t get up. Some in the crowd were shouting for death while others cried for mercy. Eventually, the one still standing just walked through a set of open double doors on a sidewall. The crowds continued to shout and scream at the top of their lungs. It didn’t seem like anything could quiet them. I thought my ears would start bleeding if I either didn’t leave or join them. A couple men went to the fallen warrior and dragged him off the field while a man in elegant robes walked out and raised both hands in the air to quiet the crowd. The crowd quieted a little, but not by much. I could barely tell what the man in the robes was saying, despite it looking like he was screaming at the top of his lungs. He walked off the field and two more warriors entered, faced each other for but a few moments, and then sprung into battle. I turned to Nathalia. She nodded and made her way through the crowd again, heading for the exit. I glanced back at the struggle before following her. We managed to push through the crowd and finally found some place that was fairly quiet just outside the arena walls. I rubbed one of my ears, wondering if I hadn’t gone deaf yet. Nathalia turned to me and gestured at the festive banners in the town.
“They’re having one of their tournaments. The lord of this fortress and its people, Tyrone, established these tournaments when he was running out of troops to give the people a reason to fight. Those who survived would be given the chance to join his army voluntarily before forcing them to enlist.”
I grimaced. “Sounds like a nice guy.”
She smirked and replied, “When he believed his army was large enough, these tournaments turned more into prize fights. You won’t have to worry about becoming a soldier any time soon. I’ve trained you too well for that.”
I rolled my eyes and asked, “So what are we doing here?”
She grinned and held up a small coin pouch. “You’re going to win us some money.”
I blinked in confusion and turned back to the arena. I then looked at Nathalia with wide eyes. “You can’t possibly mean…” She nodded and I balked, shouting, “There’s no way you’re sending me in there to get slaughtered!”
She replied calmly. “If you win, you progress through supposedly harder opponents, thus winning us more money. If you lose, you only die if they kill you.” She walked past me and headed for a side door of the structure. I narrowed my eyes, but followed in silence.
A rather large guard blocked the door. Nathalia spoke to him for a few minutes before he let us enter. It was far darker inside than it was outside. There were soldiers, guards, warriors, and civilians alike. The roar of the audience above was muffled, but not nearly enough so you could be heard across the room without shouting. Among the assortment of people, I saw the man with the robes. Now that we were closer to him, I noticed that his attire didn’t shine nearly as much in the dim lighting as it did in the sunlight. He ran his right hand through his white hair while his left hand rested on his round belly. “Wait over there,” Nathalia said in my ear and pointed to an open door. Without another word, she went over to the man and started a conversation with him. I raised my eyebrow, but headed for the room. Glancing back, I saw Nathalia place something in the man’s hand. Once I entered the room, I saw that the wall nearest to the door was filled with all sorts of weapons. On the opposite wall stood a pair of double doors, guarded by two men. Several people in the room were warming up for combat. I inspected the collection of weaponry on the wall. Swords, maces, lances, shields, axes, bows, arrows, and daggers were just a few of the assortment. I pulled out a pair of sais from the rack and twirled them around a couple times before putting them back.
“It’s all set,” Nathalia said as she entered the room. “You’re next.”
“Wait, what? How does that work? We just got here.” I probably didn’t sound half as worried as I really was.
Nathalia simply shrugged and put a hand on my shoulder. “I didn’t want to give you time to get scared and back out,” she said simply as she led me toward the double doors, which I just noticed were wide open.
“You mean run for my life?” I replied bitterly as I watched two men drag in a bloody body.
“Just don’t get yourself killed, kid,” Nathalia said before shoving me through the open doors. I turned just in time to see them shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment